The Missile Man of India and the former president of the world’s largest democracy, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, was one of the most successful and inspiring leaders of independent India. His words had the power to ignite the spark of hope even in those who had lost everything and not only this, his words are remembered across the globe by people of all backgrounds especially the youth. He gave hundreds of talks at various places in his lifetime which still stand out in all situations.
One of the best speeches of Mr. Kalam was the one he gave in the European Union in the year 2007. He emphasized on the runner, Kaniyan Poongunranar’s belief that he was a world citizen and every citizen was his own kith and kin. Mr. Kalam said that where there is righteousness in the heart, there is beauty in the character. Where there is beauty in the character, there is harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, there is order in the nation. When there is order in the nations, there is peace in the world. These heart-touching lines touched the souls of all the EU members present there.
In one of his speeches at the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 2010, he shared his experience with the 11 million young people he had come across in a decade’s time. He said that every youth wants to be unique and that is YOU. But the world around us is striving every day to make you a common person. Being like everyone else is not at all satisfying in the long run. People tend to regret that they couldn’t be unique and achieve greater heights in life. Dr Abdul Kalam envisioned before the batch of students the perspective of the ‘Evolution of the unique YOU’.
Dr Kalam always insisted the younger generation to work with their full heart towards anything that they wanted to achieve. He said that one might achieve success while having worked with half-heart but bitterness keeps breeding all the time. He is remembered by the younger generation as one of those leaders who gave them a safer and brighter India coupled with economic and social growth. He believed in the importance of a father, mother, and teacher in the nurturing of a corruption-free India as these are the people who develop the country’s future.
He taught the youth to not only handle success but also how to handle failures. He said that the management of the failure is very important as there will be problems and failures in whatever one does. According to him, learning leads to creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge and knowledge makes you successful. The ones who dare to dream the impossible are the ones who break the chains of all the human limitations. Although being from a science background, he also gave equal importance to all the courses of study and profession and he believed that one who can think and work beyond the imaginations are the ones who achieve the actual success in life. Mr. Kalam never failed to ignite hope and give motivation and strength to the young.
Here are some inspiring quotes by Dr. Kalam
- You have to dream before your dreams can come true.
- Excellence is a continuous process and not an accident.
- Life is a difficult game. You can win it only by retaining your birthright to be a person.
- Man needs his difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy success.
- We will be remembered only if we give to our younger generation a prosperous and safe India, resulting out of economic prosperity coupled with civilizational heritage.
- Those who cannot work with their hearts achieve but a hollow, half-hearted success that breeds bitterness all around.
- Educationists should build the capacities of the spirit of inquiry, creativity, entrepreneurial and moral leadership among students and become their role model.
- Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.
- If a country is to be corruption free and become a nation of beautiful minds, I strongly feel there are three key societal members who can make a difference. They are the father, the mother and the teacher.
- My message, especially to young people is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to the young people.